You will carry out compositional and microbiological testing of ingredients, intermediate and finished products to ensure compliance with Company standards, legislation and customer specification and to support continuous quality improvement across the site.
- Preparation of microbial analysis agars and diluents and equipment sterilisation.
- Aseptic sampling and microbial analysis of finished product, ingredients, swabs, water and in line samples across a wide range of tests to include TVC’s, Enteros, B. cereus etc.
- Read and interpret sample plates and confirm colony count in cfu/g or ml.
- Successful implementation and participation in internal and external proficiency testing
- Coordinate sampling of finished products and in line samples to include retention of shelf-life samples and the sampling and submission of samples to third party labs for pathogen testing.
- Conduct chemical compositional analysis on raw ingredients, intermediate and finished products using rapid analysis methods.
- Verifying accuracy of rapid analysis results against wet chemistry reference methods, ensuring the rapid testing bias settings are regularly cross checked.
Compliance / Management
- Sample management: sampling, receipt, preparation
- All results to be accurately recorded and reported electronically to include the notification of relevant personnel of any out of specification or unusual result readings.
- Ensure all release parameters are met or non conforming product remains on hold.
- Implement GLP standards in the laboratory, obtain and maintain external laboratory accreditation
- Implement compliance to standard testing procedures / methods
- Proactively review results and flag trends and non-conformances on a timely basis.
- Support quality improvement initiatives across the site
- Validation of accredited test methods and commissioning of new instruments / project works
- Commissioning and maintenance of laboratory equipment, components, devices, or systems including adjustment / prestart checks / asset care, troubleshooting and calibration scheduling as appropriate.
- Consumable management and ordering as required
- Ensure that the work area remains clean at all times including the management of scheduled cleaning of lab equipment such as incubators and fridges
- Represent the laboratory function of GCEU to all stakeholders (customers, auditors, regulatory authorities etc)
- Assist with the writing of SOPs (in accordance with ISO:17025) and Quality SOPs (in accordance with BRC and Customer Codes of Practice).
- Participate in shift changeover brief and ensure next shift is provided with any relevant QA information.
- Ensure timely and accurate records are maintained of all quality tests and checks.
- Lead or support root cause investigations; drive problem solving efforts to support complaint file completion, including as appropriate product analysis and investigations and the documentation of investigation results for complaint files.
- Maintain on-going clear communication with Quality, Operation and Maintenance teams on QA findings
Health and Safety
- Understand, observe and ensure compliance with Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Participate in and ensure that safety work place inspections are carried out in accordance with schedule and standards.
- Attend Health and Safety meetings.
- Support and promote the development of an effective and pro-active safety culture on site.
- Ensure all operations within the QA function are carried out to meet the requirements of relevant Health and Safety legislation.
- Proactively completes H&S e-learning.
- Work with due regard for the requirements of the Company Equality of Opportunity Policy and Harassment Policies.
- Complete other QC related business needs as/if they occur
- Ensure timely completion of assigned activities to meet Customer needs, departmental goals and regulatory reporting requirements
- Completion of lab, plant and systems audits as part of internal auditing programme.
- Provide cover for QA Technicians as required
Qualifications and Training
- QQI Level 7 equivalent level in Food Science or related technical discipline.
- 2 years relevant technical/laboratory experience. Preferably in a food /dairy production environment.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of ‘Good Manufacturing Practice’, Laboratory practices, and workplace Health & Safety.
- Track record of Lean Manufacturing and 5S an advantage.
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills
- Able to maintain accurate records
- Able to display initiative and apply problem solving skills
- Able to work unsupervised
- PC skills with a good understanding of Microsoft Office packages
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Teamwork oriented
Able to work Rotating 12-hour day shifts with weekend work included.